Sunday, 1 July 2012

Last Friday I had a dinner party at our house, I made slow cooked belly pork with roast potatoes, broad bean salad and chard for main course, summer trifle and hazelnut/coffee meringue for pudding.
As starter I made beetroot and welsh goat cheese towers. I wasn't sure if the people who came would like it but  all plates were empty and everyone seemed to enjoyed it.
I grow my own beetroot which I dug up in the morning and boiled them for about an hour, check with sharp knife to see if they are cooked.You can also buy ready boiled beetroot in the supermarket but I don't think they are as sweet as if you would grow them yourself. You could always buy some at a farmers market this time of year. I still had some boiled ones left so today I made it for lunch and took a photo, here goes:



Beetroot with Soft Welsh Goat Cheese Tower
Serves 2

2 ready boiled Beetroot (cut in 1cm sliced)
125 gr Soft Welsh Goat Cheese ( cut in slightly smaller slices then the beetroot)
1 large Red Onion, peeled and sliced
1 tsp of Balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp of Demerara sugar or brown soft sugar
2 cherry tomatoes (optional)
150 washed  fresh Rocket
cocktail sticks


  1. Fry the onions slowly on low heat with the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan with lid for about 15 minutes until the onions are sweet and soft.
  2. Preheat oven 200ÂșC / gasmark 6, make the tower by stacking beetroot/cheese/beetroot/cheese/beetroot then tomatoes on the top, hold together by cocktail stick. And place in the oven for about 5-7 minutes. Watch the tower, don't let the cheese melt too much, just let it go soft otherwise the tower will collapse.
  3. Place the rocket on a plate with the onions, then the beetroot tower on top. Serve with some nice crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment