Saturday, 30 June 2012

My sister sent me a picture to ask if I could identify this plant that was growing in her garden, she was wondering if it was a pepper plant.
I did recognise it straight  away it was Datura stramonium  common name "Thorn Apple" or "Devil's Apple"it is a very distinctive plant, once you've seen it you will not forget it.
In 2004 I did a course at the Botanic Garden on the Isle of Wight for the 'Certificate in Plantsmanship' . One of our assessments was to write about a plant family and the one I choose was the Potato Family (Solanaceae). The reason for choosing that family was that it has such a diversity of different plants, from important food plant to very toxic. D. stramonium being one of the poisonous ones, and the pepper plant a food crop. So my sister wasn't that far of at least she had the family right!

I've  looked the essay up and posted it, maybe you find it a interesting read, or you might fall a sleep....

























No comments:

Post a Comment