How to start?
Don't know why but thought it time to write down bits and pieces. I sometimes look back on things that I have grown, made or cooked in the past and can't remember how I did it. So maybe this is a good way of writing it down, and who knows it could be a good way to get in touch with like minded people and share receipts and ideas. I think I'm running away with my thoughts now.
My grammar isn't as good as it should be, another good reason to start blogging.
This year the garden is a mix of good & bad things. All the rain has made the slugs and snails come out by the MILLIONS, it's the 1st time ever I've used slug pellets around some of my bedding plants and vegetables. The borders look great, I've never seen them so full bursting with flowers. But the fruit cage isn't doing so well, the strawberries could do with some sun now, they are all getting mouldy and so are the courgette plants, their fruits keep rotting off. I pruned my white and red currants a bit to hard last year, lovely new growth but not one currant. Lots of black currants so have to do something with them. Raspberries still very tiny and far from ripe. Last year I made jam on June 20th, didn't happen this year.
Tomatoes and chillies all good, already got some ripe tomatoes and chillies.
Today was finally a dry morning and I went out into the garden to pick some elder flowers (Sambucus nigra) for making Elderflower Cordial or presse (if you're posh)
This cordial is lovely with sparkling mineral water on a hot day, really refreshing. I save some little plastic water bottles, poor the cordial in them and freeze the bottle's, then take them out when I want them and keep a bottle in the fridge. This way it doesn't go off so quick.
Elderflower Cordial
25-30 elderflower heads (remove as much of the stalks as possible)
5 oranges sliced
2 small lemons sliced
2kg sugar
100 gr citric acid monohydrate (can buy this at the chemist)
2 litres of boiled but cooled water
Clean bucket
Boil the water and let it cool. Place the elderflowers, sliced oranges and lemons in the bucket and pour in the water just to cover the blossom. Place a loose fitting plate or lid on top of the bucket and leave it somewhere cool and dark for 2-3 days.
Strain the water from the flowers through a fine sieve into a large saucepan, measure the volume of the juice and add approx. 750 gr of sugar and 1 tablespoon of Citric Acid per 1 litre of juice.
Heat the saucepan gentle, do not boil, stir until the sugar has dissolved completely.
Pour the liquid in the clean little plastic bottle's.
Enjoy
No comments:
Post a Comment